Tuesday, October 30, 2007

what does mommy do

So, its been about 4 years since I've been officially enrolled in public health school, and now that my kids are in school, I have come across several circumstances where I've had to define my profession. I went to the Academy to talk about hygiene, but when I got there, Ibraheem's teacher had laid out stethoscopes and food pyramid projects and had told the kids I would give instructions on both of those things. All 5 of the worksheets I brought about covering your cough, washing hands, etc was not really useful. Lucky for me, I could try again at the community center, where I had more fun and got a chance to talk to all 15 of the kids at one time. I introduced myself as someone who educates people about health and clean hands - yes i am the clean hands lady!!! I asked some questions to the kids about how they get germs. This is what they said:

  • when someone farts in your face
  • if you touch someones wart it gives you germs
  • picking your nose
  • playing with dirt
  • playing with my guinea pig
So ok good - they got the idea of where germs come from. A teacher noted to me to stress the importance of bathing - guess there are some issues in that department...

The best is when I walk into the house today and find Ibraheem washing his hands. I immediately am alarmed and ask, what happened?

He says, oh nothing, I just wanted to wash the coming-home germs off my hands before I went to the bathroom....

gotta love it...!

1 comment:

Aalia said...

hilarious! love the laundry list of germ causes, given by the kids!!! and the coming-home-from-school germs. funniness...