Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Eid ul Adha

Here we are again at another Eid, and I am stuck at how to explain it to Ibraheem with importance and significance, as well as relate it to the rest of the community we have taken in as our own. I can't help but get a little upset to see all the displays of the consumeristic side of christmas and hanukkah. i find it a little funny that the market still hasn't figured out that along with the aforementioned holidays and kwanzaa (at least since 1966), Eid ul Adha, this year, is in the same timeframe. As an added bonus, it is before christmas if muslims want to partake in purchasing gifts for family, friends or neighbors, and it still contributes to the bottom line. Alas, ignorance prevails and everywhere I go, I am reminded of the work that I need to do. SO! I have decided to do a few things: 1) Write a letter expressing my disappointment in the OP Public Library's awareness of the fact that in 2007, it is estimated that four million muslims will make this pilgrimage; and 2) prepare and give to the RFCC a Kabah - made from a cubed kleenex box, accompanied with either a few notes about the importance of this eid, or if i'm lucky, a book on it.

No comments: