Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Park Etiquette?

OK so "park season" is nearly here, and I think its time to re-hash the rules and etiquette of playing in the park. The other day, I received a rude comment from a mother who behind my back said that a good mom brings toys to the park for everyone to play, seeing that I had nothing that day.

Infuriating? of course! especially since we usually arrive to the park with a wagon full of sandbox toys and didn't happen to do so that day. Further, the parks we go to generally have 'donated' sandbox toys that implies a system of good faith by every parent who leaves the toys there for everyone else to play with.

Rule #1: If you bring a toy to the park, expect others to want to play with it and instill in your child the idea of 'taking turns'. Sharing is very elusive at the tender age of 2 (by 3 they should be able to take turns automatically), because children don't understand that once they leave a toy, it is a free for all. They simply think they are 'just not playing with it right now but will shortly'. Taking turns is more concrete and you can allow the child to take control of the situation by saying, right now I'm playing with this truck (always a truck), when I'm done I will give it to you. Believe me, it works. I would also venture to say that 3 out of 5 times, Ibu himself has given up playing with something and just says, here you go and he is done.

Rule #2: You don't always have to share with strangers. I have wavered on this dozens of times and have decided that its not necessary to share or expect to have someone offer toys to you if you are not friends. In our adult life, I don't expect this and I don't want him to have unreasonable expectations. Sharing with friends or little kids that are playing side by side is a different story, but bring toys to the playground that get pounced on by older kids who run away with them is not my idea of fair.

Rule #3: Don't be a swing hog, give others a turn, or double up your kids if you can/have to. Enough said.

Rule #4: Clean up after yourself, kids watch everything in the park and will pick up on leaving a mess behind.

Rule #5: Obviously, have a great time yourself! Its a perfect place for playdates, to make new friends and playmates and just to have a little picnic.

Enjoy the outdoors!

No comments: