It's actually a title to a book, not just a phenomenon. I've checked out a few books from the library recently about parenting boys. I've learned a lot that was certainly enlightening, some material was common-sense, like making the simplest tasks game-oriented. It's almost the reason why Imraan is nearly toilet trained. The most interesting thing I read was that boys auditory senses work differently from girls. So the key is to not nag, but to say something and recognize a time lapse between the words out of my mouth and into his ear, through his brain, and out his mouth.
Also, there is a new movement of single-sex education that is starting from the west coast. Researches are finding that boys and girls learn better at early elem ages when segregated. For example, if you tell a girl to draw a picture of something, and suggest to add some yellow, she will do it, and not protest (to the greater extent). A boy however, **my boys**, do not take any suggestions, and prefer their drawings to my suggestions. The researcher explained that suggesting to a boy to add some color can imply to a boy that his current drawing is not good enough, and by adding a color, it will be better. This is definitely not the way I want to teach my boys. I really try not to say things like, good job, or excellent work to things that don't need such merit. I'll say things like, oh that looks like fun, or I like how you drew that, or can you explain your drawing to me. Always giving the power back to the kids, while retaining your power!
More later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment